Skip to content

Contact one of our experienced road accident lawyers to discuss your TAC claim today.

I’ve been injured in a road accident. What do I do next?

If you have been injured in a road accident in Victoria, you may be able to make a TAC claim.

At the time of the incident, you should note the following information to assist with making your TAC claim:

  • Details of all drivers involved in the accident
  • Details of any witnesses who saw your accident occur
  • Photographs of the damage sustained to vehicles involved in the accident (a smartphone is a great, quick way to get a record of these at the time of the incident)
  • Details of any medical treatment you have received as a result of the accident

This information will be required if you lodge a claim with the TAC for your injury.

How long do I have to lodge my claim?

There are time limits that apply for lodging your TAC claim.

You have 12 months from the date of your transport incident in which you sustained your injury to lodge your TAC claim. It is always best to lodge it within 12 months from the incident.

If more than 12 months has passed, you may apply to lodge your claim within 3 years of the incident, however it may not be accepted. Any claim lodged over 3 years since the date of the incident will not be accepted.

TAC claims and children

If you were a child at the time of the incident, you may have up until you turn 21 to make your claim, regardless of how long ago it occurred.

What is the TAC?

The Transport Accident Commission or TAC is the Victorian state government body responsible for managing injury claims from people who have sustained an injury as a result of a motor car, motorcycle, bus, train, tram or pedestrian accident in Victoria.

The TAC exists to help you manage any distress and associated costs resulting from a road accident or transport accident by issuing benefits to successful claimants.

Who can make a TAC claim?

If you have sustained an injury due to a transport accident, then you may be entitled to receive benefits from the TAC either covering the entirety of your medical costs or, at least, some of the ongoing support you require to help you recover.

What can the TAC pay for?

If your TAC claim is accepted, the TAC can provide compensation for your injuries. Compensation may be in the form of reimbursements for reasonable medical expenses, and payments for any time off work you need as a result of your injury. You may also be able to claim a lump sum payment as compensation if you have suffered a permanent injury.

The TAC also pays compensation if someone dies as a result of a road accident.

If you were admitted to hospital as a result of your road accident, or if your accident occurred after 14 February 2018, the TAC will cover your reasonable medical and related expenses immediately.

Why should I lodge a TAC claim?

We understand that being involved in a road accident or transport accident is extremely traumatic. If you have sustained an injury, an accepted TAC claim will mean you are entitled to claim important compensation for your injury.

By lodging a TAC claim, you are starting the process towards receiving important payments – payments that are often vital for getting your life back on track and getting the crucial treatment you may require.

How do I lodge my claim?

If you were taken to hospital for an injury following a transport accident, the hospital may have completed a claim lodgment on your behalf. If you signed a claim form then you can expect that your TAC claim has been lodged by the hospital and submitted to the TAC.

If you were not taken to hospital or did not fill out a claim form, you can make your TAC Claim by contacting the TAC directly on 1300 654 329, which incurs local call costs, or on 1800 332 556, which is a toll free number for anyone outside the Melbourne metropolitan area.

What happens once I lodge my TAC claim?

The TAC will send you a Claim for Compensation Summary and any relevant forms, such as an Authority to Release Information form. You should complete the form and return it as soon as possible to avoid any delays in your claim being accepted.

The TAC will decide to accept, deny, or seek further information for your claim within 21 days of receiving it.

Do I need a lawyer for my TAC claim?

As with any complicated process, TAC claims can seem overwhelming. When you are already managing the stress and discomfort of an injury, you do not need additional financial and bureaucratic stresses potentially impeding your rest and recovery. If you are unsure about your rights and entitlements, you should speak to a lawyer to discuss your options. At Gordon Legal, our road accident claim lawyers can help you navigate the TAC claim process and any rights to compensation you may have.

Contact Gordon Legal today to speak with one of our friendly and experienced road accident lawyers.

No win, no fee

Help when you need it most without the added stress of upfront legal fees engaging a
no win, no fee lawyer. When you need legal help, understandably, the first thing people often think is ‘can I afford it?’ To address this, our Senior Partner, Peter Gordon and Partner, Paul Henderson pioneered the ‘no win, no fee’ system to create greater access to the legal system.

We are here to help

When you’re ready, give us a call or click on the button below to send us a message. It will go straight to a caring and committed member of our team who will contact you within 24 hours.

enquire-btnEnquire now phone-btn1800 21 22 23